UChicago essay questions came out today!
I’m so excited!
1. “What does Play-Doh™ have to do with Plato?” - The 2011 University of Chicago Scavenger Hunt List
2. Observation, Hypothesis, Experiment, Analysis, Conclusion; since the 17th century, the scientific method has been the generally accepted way to investigate, explore, and acquire new knowledge. The actual process of intellectual discovery, however, is rarely so simple or objective. The human mind often leaps from observation to conclusion with ease, rushes headlong into hypothesis-less experiments, or dwells on the analysis, refusing to conclude.
3. Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote, “Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.” Give us your guess.
4. While working at the Raytheon Company, Percy Spencer noticed that standing in front of a magnetron (used to generate microwave radio signals) caused a chocolate bar in his pocket to melt. He then placed a bowl of corn in front of the device, and soon it was popping all over the room. A couple years later, Raytheon was selling the first commercial microwave oven.
Write about a time you found something you weren’t looking for.
5. In the spirit of adventurous inquiry, pose a question of your own. If your prompt is original and thoughtful, then you should have little trouble writing a great essay. Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, citizen of the world, or future citizen of the University of Chicago; take a little risk, and have fun.
6. Don’t write about reverse psychology.
Finally, something to think about when I run. :)
- imsureeggisagreatperson reblogged this from fyuchicago
- follow-the-universe reblogged this from coervus and added:
- follow-the-universe likes this
- linearly likes this
- annalogies reblogged this from latempeteparfaite and added:
- chuckstr likes this
- homoscato reblogged this from fyuchicago
- thehurricanekid reblogged this from fyuchicago and added:
- q-princess reblogged this from fyuchicago
- temporalherald reblogged this from fyuchicago
- ghostintheparlour likes this
- quirkyromantic reblogged this from fyuchicago
- happyniss reblogged this from latempeteparfaite and added:
- drunkoncheese reblogged this from latempeteparfaite and added:
- megandcheese reblogged this from fyuchicago
- sqeenamore reblogged this from fyuchicago and added:
- thisriver likes this
- andiehurley likes this
- apidae likes this
- hartandsole reblogged this from fyuchicago
- mintjuliepp reblogged this from fyuchicago and added:
- pflugerville likes this
- fyuchicago reblogged this from latempeteparfaite
- notrational likes this
- coervus reblogged this from latempeteparfaite and added:
- beckoneveryone likes this
- gingerita likes this
- paganfruit likes this
- hypochandriac likes this
- monopolysquares said: uchicago DEFINITELY has the best essays out there.
- ithinkimightbesinking likes this
- mamamuva likes this
- rlyfake likes this
- freefallintoitall likes this
- cssdy likes this
- galacticginyu likes this
- tacoriffic likes this
- sotheskymightfall said: Unaure if I’m going to apply to Chicago but I love the third prompt.
- baby--bee likes this
- thenotoriousbigpoppa likes this
- latempeteparfaite posted this